Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Monty's Penguin -- Waddle up for an amazing milkshake!

Monty's Restaurant opened it's doors on the corner of 44th and Virginia Avenue (now Warwick Boulevard) in Downtown Newport News in 1946, according to my waitress on a recent visit.  It was among the first "Curb Service" car hops in the area.  It has moved twice.  In 1963, it moved to an uptown location, where it was renamed Monty's Penguin.  The penguin comes from an ice cream parlor of the same name that merged with Monty's around that time.  In 1974, it moved to it's current location of 9607 Warwick Boulevard. While they no longer do curb service, Monty's is open for the general public to come on in for a good meal.


I had the honor of visiting Monty's recently and the old restaurant shows it's age, but the traditional style food is as good as ever.   I had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, tea, and pineapple milkshake for dessert for about $13.  The sandwich was good, but the milkshake was out of this world!  My only complaint is that I felt the cost was a little high for what I received.  I would definitely go back though!



Monty's Penguin
9607 Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23601
(757) 595-2151

Hours: 
Sunday- Saturday 6:30 AM - 8:00 PM

Special thanks to:
http://roadsidearchitecture.com/
http://nnhs65.com/

No comments: