Thursday, December 22, 2011

Midnight for the Oasis... Hampton landmark set to close


December 24, 2011 will mark the end of an era.  After nearly 60 years in business, Hampton's Oasis Restaurant plans to close its doors for the final time.  The owner, Nick Sorokos, told me that it was due to the economic recession.  He has been trying to sell the business, but recent attempts have fallen through.  Though there are still people expressing interest in buying the Oasis, no deal is currently in the works.  Located at 3506 Kecoughtan Rd, the restaurant opened it's doors on April 1st, 1952 and was this blogger's great-grandmother's favorite restaurant.  The food is traditional, but tastes delicious.  During my visit today, I had a hamburger steak, mashed potatoes, peas and an iced tea for about $11.  My mouth waters now thinking about the meal.  Everything I've ever eaten there has been delicious and it is a tragedy that this staple of Hampton cuisine may be lost forever.  It is my hope that the Oasis can find a way to survive and prosper once again.

No comments: